My List of 32 Things
I really like lists. At the same time, I’ve never been able to get into the “bucket” list; it kinda creeps me out. Besides, if you have an indeterminate time period in which to complete a list, it takes the pressure off.
So when I saw the idea bopping around the internets (sorry, too many places to remember where I saw it first) of a list for all the things I want to do before my next birthday, I thought that sounded nifty. I actually started it at the end of 2010, and I’ve accomplished a few items on it already. I’m still going birthday to birthday, mind you, just to cheat and give myself a couple extra months. So there.
1. Listen in on a seisiun in a Dublin pub. (update: Airline tickets purchased for next month! WOot!)
2. Find a literacy or women’s advocacy non-profit that I would be pleased to fundraise for.
3. Use my motorcycle license.
4. Drive to the end of the road in Alaska. Could possibly be combined with goal #3.
5. Finish uploading my 500+ CDs & 100+ vinyl to my computer. Finished! Only 6 months after I got my first iPod!
Take enough quality photographs to fill the Groupon portfolio book I ordered. I think I’m there! Luckily, I don’t need a slew. Just enough.
7. Create something at Albany Bulb.
8. Climb a 5.10c.
9. Actually sustain a (small) savings account, and start (small) on a House Down Payment fund.
10. Go horseback riding on the beach.
11. Take a self-defense class.
12. Finish a sweater for myself.
13. Run a MobMov guerilla drive-in.
14. Read “Infinite Jest.”
15. Submit 10 short stories to fiction magazines/anthologies OR get 1 accepted. Either will make me happy.
16. Finish editing and submit a novel to between 1 and 30 agents.
17. Trespass somewhere awesome and take pictures.
18. Place in the top 10 in a BANG (Bay Area Night Game).
19. Act on stage in some community production.
20. Work on my hospice volunteer commitment.
21. Swim in a mountain lake.
22. Sleep on a beach.
23. Start attending that amazing Greek Orthodox church I remember from college.
24. Watch the Leonids from the hood of my car out where the skies are clear.
25. Have dinner somewhere that it could be said I was “dining.” Like the French Laundry.
26. Find a natural hotspring.
27. Buy a stranger a drink.
28. Find at least 3 reasons to wear my Dark Garden corset.
29. Finish the 100 pushups challenge. (I should really swap this one with #28, if I want to do it right.)
30. Finally hold that Tom Waits party we’ve been talking about forever.
31. Bike that really big hill right by my work in all one go. Hell, yeah. I DOMINATED that hill.
32. Make or buy a Murphy bed that will work for my bizarre space. This may actually be the most challenging item on the list, but I’m… well, if not completely assured of success, at least determined to give it the old college try. See, I don’t think I can buy one; I’ll never find one that will fit my teeny, awkwardly shaped room that also fits into my budget. So DIY it shall be. Shudder. I never did get in the measure twice, cut once lesson. But my garden gate is still standing and swinging, so here’s to wishing.
Here’s to wishing! And to birthdays. And to goals.